As you may have read on our previous post, sadly the White-bellied Sea-Eagle chick died prematurely on the nest on the afternoon of 12 September 2014 at the age of 30 days.
After all appropriate approvals, the body was recovered from the nest on the following morning and was transported to the Animal Referral Hospital for a necropsy.
The death of the Sea-Eagle chick was most likely due to an unfortunate set of natural circumstances, with signs indicating Trichomoniasis, a disease of birds caused by a protozoan parasite. This parasite is a common disease of pigeons and other birds in the wild.
It is possible that this disease may have been passed to the chick in a pigeon brought to the nest as prey.
Birdlife Southern NSW has provided their preliminary report with further details on their Facebook page.